- 1 Best Handheld Massager Reviews Of 2020
- 1.1 1. Hyperice Hypervolt Portable Massage Device
- 1.2 2. Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager
- 1.3 3. Viktor Jurgen Handheld Back Massager
- 1.4 4 Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager With Heating
- 1.5 5. Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager
- 1.6 6. Renpho Rechargeable Handheld Massager
- 1.7 7. Wahl 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
- 1.8 8. Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager
- 1.9 9. Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager
- 1.10 10. Therarub Massager Percussion Electric Massager
- 2 The Complete Buying Guide For Handheld Massagers
- 3 Healing Benefits Of Handheld Massagers
- 4 Best Handheld Massagers Comparison Chart
- 5 Summary
Handheld massagers offer great portability and can treat various medical conditions. They will provide relief for your aching muscles and lower back pain.
You can even achieve flawless skin by using a handheld percussion massager.
In this guide, we present the top 10 handheld massager reviews of 2019. All the models have been carefully selected by our experts. They are the best in their price categories and will provide an enjoyable massage.
In the last part of our guide, we walk you through how these units work and the benefits they provide. Our goal is to help you make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the best handheld massager.
|Hyperice Hypervolt Portable Massager|
Dimensions: 11 x 14.2 x 3.5″
Weight: 2.5 lbs
Speed: up to 3, 200 percussions per minute
Attachments : 4
|Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager |
Dimensions: 14.75 x 2.75 x 4″
Weight: 1.65 lbs
Speed: 3700 RPM
Attachments : 3
|RENPHO Rechargeable Handheld Massager|
Dimensions: 15 x 3 x 4.5″
Weight: 1.76 pounds
Speed : up to 3600 RPM
Attachments : 5
|VIKTOR JURGEN Handheld Back Massager|
Dimensions: 6.7 x 5.5 x 14.6”
Weight: 3.35 lbs
Speed : up to 3,350 pulses
Attachments : 3
|WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager|
Dimensions: 16 x 6.5 x 10.9"
Weight: 3 lbs
Speed : 3550 RPM
Attachments : 4
|Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with Heating|
Dimensions: 17.5 x 3.7 x 3.7″
Weight: 2.6 lbs
Speed: 2800 PPM
Attachments : 3
|TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric Massager|
Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 4″
Weight: 2.6 lbs
Speed : 3260 PPM
Attachments : 3 sets
Best Handheld Massager Reviews Of 2020
1. Hyperice Hypervolt Portable Massage Device
The Hyperice Hypervolt Portable Massager is the cure for all muscle soreness and stiffness. Make yourself comfortable and let the device do all the work. It’s a high-quality product that will prevent injuries and relieve you of any muscle cramping and muscle spasms.
What we liked about this product is that it comes with 4 interchangeable heads. It’s very quiet thanks to its unique glide system, so you don’t have to worry about noise being an issue. One neat feature it´s the three-hour-long battery life, so you don’t have to recharge it so often. The device is very ergonomic and lightweight, making the transition from each area very easy. With the adjustable speed settings, you can manually change the intensity of the massage depending on your liking.
P.S This unit is GREAT for an advanced facial reflexology treatment.
2. Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager
One of the best cordless handheld massagers out there is the Pure Wave CM5. This specific model comes with a lithium battery and depending on which features you use, it can last up to 3 hours without having to recharge it.
The CM5 is easy to use and designed to reach every nook and cranny of your body. Its very lightweight and comes with multiple attachments making it very versatile. The handle itself doesn’t feel uncomfortable after using it for a long time.
One significant advantage of using this specific model is because of its powerful motor. The battery motor can produce up to 3.700 pulses per minute, making this a great product for people who like a bit rougher massage.
Overall, this is one of the best handheld massagers out on the market today.
3. Viktor Jurgen Handheld Back Massager
What makes this massager so attractive is the dual attachment head. In contrary to the standard massage node it’s able to cover a larger surface area more quickly. You’ll be surprised how efficient and good this unit is at replicating the movements of a professional masseur.
With the capacity of generating a maximum power of 3.350 pulses per minute, this unit will get your blood circulation going, and help you recover from any injuries you contracted. The massager’s ability to reach the muscle tissue in-depth combined with the adjustable speed settings will enhance the therapeutic value of the product.
One downside is that the attachment head can be a bit bulky. This makes the unit slightly heavier than other models. If you can oversee this then this model will provide you with a very pleasurable experience.
Overall, the Viktor Jurgen is a very good product that will satisfy your needs, and promote a healthy, pain-free life.
4 Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager With Heating
Looking for a good massager at a decent price? Then the Naipo hand-held massager is the choice for you. This particular model has a pleasing design and is capable of reaching the whole back. It comes with three different interchangeable massage heads, all with unique features.
One advantage this model has over its competitors is that it uses heat to spread warmth onto your back. This will relax your muscles and remove tension/ knot’s that been build up in your muscles during the day.
Overall, The Naipo is a good product capable of providing a truly outstanding massage.
5. Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager
The Brookstone Max 2 is a powerful portable handheld massager you can bring anywhere. Its design is elegant and with a body made of aluminum, its more durable than other models.
Do you want a wide variety of massage programs with an energy-efficient battery, then this model is worth looking in too. With a battery that lasts up to three hours and three different programs to choose from, this product will cure you of any aches.
Although this is a cordless massager, thanks to its adjustable speed settings it will still provide a very comfortable massage.
This is at the moment one of the best handheld massagers of today.
6. Renpho Rechargeable Handheld Massager
The Rehpno will provide a relaxing massage and reach the muscle in depth. It’s easy to use and designed to be taken with wherever you go. The most important trait of this unit is that the five attachment heads can massage every part of your body.
With a motor that supports up to 3600 pulses, and a battery that last up to 140 minutes makes this model perfect for personal use. Worth to mention is that it cant be used while charging.
With components made of solid ABS plastic, it can take some wear and tear without coming apart. One downside is that every 20 minutes it will shut itself off to prevent it from overheating. Just wait a couple of minutes and you’re good to go.
Overall, this is a decent handheld massager that performs above average.
7. Wahl 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
Are you looking for a therapeutic massager at an affordable price? Then you should take a closer look at the Wahl. Less is more, and this model preaches it.
It’s effective, easy to use and ergonomically designed. The four attachment heads, all with unique features give you a broad selection of massage techniques to choose from. Each attachment head has its advantages and will provide an irresistible massage. We recommend changing attachment heads during your massage session to achieve the ultimate state of relaxation.
Overall, this is a good handheld massager, and for the price, you can’t find any better.
8. Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager
With a simple yet effective design, the Ohuhu will provide a more sophisticated massage. The main reason behind it is the two massaging nodes that make it able to cover a larger surface area more quickly.
One benefit of using this model is the three sets of massaging nodes and the adjustable speed settings. Its made with the user in mind, which means that this model is hassle-free and you can switch between nodes in no time. This allows you to customize each session according to your liking.
In conclusion, this is an effective massager worth your attention, and we recommend using massage oils together with this model to enhance the massage experience.
9. Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager
The Gideon has a futuristic design, and unlike other models, the manufacturer has included three different large massage heads, and each head offers an experience that can’t be compared to the other.
One of the advantages of the Gideon is that it´s a powerful massager, which can be adjusted to your liking and applied to different areas with good results. Another advantage is the scraper effect that will improve the luster of the skin without having to go to a salon.
Overall, this is massager might seem clumsy but the results prove others.
10. Therarub Massager Percussion Electric Massager
With pain relief in mind, muscle aches will soon be a memory with the TheraTub. It comes with three different sets of massage heads to help combat any stress or other health-related issues you may have.
Thanks to the variety of attachment heads and the powerful motor, this unit produces a somewhat rougher massage than other models. With its 14-foot long cord you will have no limitation in your movements, so reaching those hard spots won’t be an issue.
Overall, Its the best percussion massager in its price range, and it will provide you with a thorough massage.
The Complete Buying Guide For Handheld Massagers
Finding the best percussion massager is not so easy as one might think. As you have seen in our short reviews, each model comes with a number of features. These features can either be beneficial for you or not. Manufactures know that everyone isn’t looking for the same features, and they do their best to find combinations that will attract more customers.
In the upcoming part, we will clarify how these features work and how they can benefit you.
Features To Consider When Buying A Handheld Massager
Although you won’t get the wide variety of techniques that of a large massager, such as a massage chair. That doesn’t mean they have to be ineffective. They will still provide a good massage but with less ability to customize the massage. Here are some of the most common techniques you’ll encounter in a handheld massager.
- Kneading – This technique involves pressing the soft tissue against the underlying bone to relieve tension and ease soreness. Masseurs manage to do this by using their fingers and palms, but as you probably notice a handheld massager doesn’t have hands, so how do they do it.
By using an attachment head its able to replicate the same massage experience, and like a real massage you can control the intensity by how hard you press the device against the skin.
- Tapping – Tapping involves pounding and striking with the fists against a certain area to relive it of its tension, and this will result in improved blood circulation and faster recovery of the muscle tissue.
Your massager will use an attachment head to simulate this technique and this will stimulate your blood flow and increasing your muscle’s elasticity and the local temperature.
- Percussion – When it’s performed by a professional masseur, the percussion massage involves rapid movements from the wrists that hit the body alternately with each hand.
The handheld massager simulates these movements by performing sequences of short movements that hit your muscles. The sequences can change or not, depending on the model. Percussion massage stimulates both the skin and the muscle reflexes. This massage improves the local blood circulation, and it relaxes your muscles. Percussion is probably the best massage technique you can find in handheld models.
Using heat therapy is probably one of the best ways to unwind after a long day at work. Heat therapy promotes comfort and relaxation, and it can also take the edge off some aches and pains.
One of the advantages of using heat therapy is that it can be an effective treatment for stiffness and cramping. Of course, heat therapy can also be used with good results for other conditions, such as
- Painful Muscles – Sometimes your muscles can be so sore you can’t even tell which muscles hurt and which don’t. This usually happens when you’re sleep deprived or when you have vitamin D deficiency. Some people can experience this feeling when they have the flu or the cold.
Most of the times, these muscle pains are produced by the tension accumulated in your muscles. The heat therapy can make your muscles relax and relieve the tension.
Handheld massagers are the perfect choice for this situation because they can be moved from one part of your body to another quickly, and they are comfortable to use even when you’re feeling sick.
- Muscle Knots – Muscle knots can often produce a dull and constant pain. The knots in your muscles can sometimes be so uncomfortable they determine you to change your posture, which in turn can lead to other muscle knots or cramping.
When you use heat therapy on a muscle knot, the results won’t fail to appear. You might not notice anything at first, but as soon as your muscle warms up properly, it will begin to relax. As the muscle relaxes, the knot will disappear and you will feel like another person.
- Exertion Soreness – Even the fittest athlete can experience exertion soreness, and it’s not pleasant. While most of us are not athletes, we still enjoy doing physical activities such as skiing and snowboarding.
Heat therapy is one of the most comfortable and best ways to get rid of exertion soreness. The warmth will relax your muscles and the lactic acid level will be lowered. This will allow you to get right back on the horse, and perform better on your second day of skiing.
- Lower Back Pain – Most people experience lower back pain at least once in their lives. However, some people experience it more often than others, and in a more significant way.
Whether you spend a lot of time sitting or you spend a lot of time standing, you’re more likely to suffer from lower back pain.
The problem with lower back pain is that it’s very difficult to get rid of. Well, thankfully, heat therapy can be a good solution to this problem.
Heat therapy improves the local blood circulation which allows more blood to reach the muscles surrounding your spine. Your muscles benefit from getting more nutrients and more oxygen, so they start to heal.
Thanks to its relaxing effect, heat therapy will also relieve your muscles of tension. Without being tense, your muscles will feel better, and they will regain some of their old flexibility.
A handheld massager that has an adjustable speed setting is more versatile than one that doesn’t. Changing the speed allows each user to personalize the massage settings and experience.
You can set the massager at its lowest speed for a more relaxing massage, or simply crank up the speed for a rougher one. If you don’t know exactly what type of massage you’re looking for, this can be a very valuable feature to have.
The share number of attachment heads your unit has will determine how you can use the device. Most brands provide more attachment heads or nodes with their products, and each of these will provide a unique massage experience.
Using a model that comes with a broad selection of attachments and an adjustable speed setting will allow you to tailor the massage to your liking.
Here are the most common attachment heads you’re likely to encounter when buying a handheld massager.
- Kneading Massage Head – The kneading massage head is specially designed to provide a deep-tissue massage. Even though different manufacturers present this massage head under different names to avoid copyright infringements, they all work in a similar way.
This massage head is usually somewhat narrow, or it has a narrow point. This attachment will push harder and reach farther under your muscles when you use it. The massage head’s design allows it to slide on the surface of your muscles and push against the points with low resistance. This will make them reach deeper and produce a more thorough massage experience.
- Wide Massage Head – Again, this massage head might have a different name, depending on the handheld massager you choose. The wide massage head is designed to produce a soothing massage. As you can probably imagine, this massage head is not suited for deep-tissue massages. It has a smooth surface that will produce a comfortable touch, and every massage session you get will be relaxing.
- Roller Head – The roller head is specially designed to provide a firm massage, but it won’t provide a deep-tissue one. This attachment head usually has multiple small bits coming out of it, and it will stimulate your local blood circulation.
This massage head is perfect for your day-to-day massage sessions. While the massage attachment won’t provide a deep-tissue massage, it will still provide a massage powerful enough to stimulate your muscles and relax them afterward.
- Scraper Head – The scraper massage head is designed to make your skin look better. This massage head will gently remove the dead skin cells from your body, so the skin will look healthier.
This massage head is also very effective at stimulating the blood circulation under your skin. Thanks to the increased blood flow, the skin will receive more nutrients and it will look better.
- Scalp Massage Head – Some models come with a scalp massager. While this attachment head is not as effective as scalp massagers that are specially designed for this task, it will still manage to perform a relaxing and comfortable massage.
If you’re willing to use the handheld massager, always make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations beforehand. Some attachment heads should not be used under certain conditions.
A handheld massager’s portability is determined by the presence or absence of a power cord and of that power cord’s length.
- High portability – Cordless units offer maximum portability as they can be used anywhere so long as they’re charged. As they’re portable, there’s no limitation to when you can use them. You can use them while at work, or lounging in the backyard.
- Medium Portability – You can find models that come with a long power cord. These cords can be up to 14 feet long, and the longer your cord is the more room you’ll have to move around the power outlet. This is usually considered medium portability.
- Low Portability – Handheld massagers that come with short power cords offer a low portability. Some models have power cords that are only 3 – 4 feet long. This is a disadvantage, as you will have to stay near a power outlet or an extension cord every time you want to use the massager.
As you could see in our short reviews, using handheld massagers offers different advantages. One of them is that you can use these massagers on most of your body. But a massager’s versatility is influenced by several features.
One of the first things you have to take into consideration when you’re looking for a handheld massager is the design. Not all manufacturers use the same design, and some are better than others.
- Elongated massagers are usually very good at reaching difficult spots. They tend to have a slimmer body which will allow you to grab the handle with ease, and they are usually easy to wield. These models usually use only one massage head, so you will have to take your time if you want to massage a larger part of your body.
- Short massagers are usually very easy to wield. They have a comfortable handle that is easy to hold, and they can reach most of your back without any problems.
However, you might find it difficult to reach certain spots on your body when you use these models, especially if your hands are not very long.
- Wide massagers are very effective. Instead of using one or two massage nodes, these models use a single wide one. The wide massage attachment usually contains several smaller units that work in unison to produce a comfortable massage. These units are very effective at covering large surfaces in quick succession, and they will massage your whole body in no time whatsoever.
As you could probably notice until now, some handheld massagers use a single massage head while others use two. Both have advantages over the other, but let’s see what they are.
Single head massagers usually have the better reach. They’re more efficient at massaging just the right spot, so they can be very helpful for people who suffer from muscle knots and cramps.
Some models use wide attachment heads, so they will massage a large surface in a short time, but most of them use narrow attachment heads.
The narrow attachment heads will make a slow progress over a large surface, so they might not be the best choice for impatient people. Double head massagers usually have a shorter but a wider reach. They’re more efficient at massaging a larger surface. They can be very good for people who suffer from muscle pains because they can work a group of muscles from two different angles at the same time. Since these models are better at covering large surfaces, they might be a better choice for people who have little patience.
The weight of the handheld massager plays a key role in its versatility. You might buy a top-of-the-line product, but if it’s too heavy for you to hold comfortably, you won’t be able to use it to its full potential.
You should know that handheld massagers are specially designed to be a little heavier than you would expect because of the following reasons. The weight makes the massager more stable when the motor is working at a higher speed.
If the unit would have a powerful motor and a low weight, it would shake and rattle when you would use it. The extra weight offers you the possibility to change the massage intensity.
Sure, you can change the motor’s speed and that will also change the intensity.
But when you push against the massager, it is able to penetrate more into your body and provide a deep-tissue massage.
If the massager would be very light, it wouldn’t feel comfortable when you would push it against your muscles.
However, you should always make sure you will be able to use the massager comfortably before buying a model. You could test this by filling a bottle of water and trying to bring it over your back. If the water bottle feels too heavy, think about how a working massager would feel. Not too comfortable, most likely.
POWER CORD LENGTH
The power cord’s length also plays a role in the unit’s versatility. As you can imagine, a unit with a shorter power cord will be less versatile. Here’s why.
Not only will a short power cord make you use an extension cord or stay near a power outlet when you use the massager, but it might also interfere when you want to change the massager’s position.
If you want to change the power cord from one place to another, the power cord can sometimes get in the way. This can be frustrating, so it would be better if the power cord was longer.
Of course, cordless units don’t have these problems unless their batteries are depleted. When they’re operating on batteries, these units are very versatile. When they’re connected to their chargers, they have a limited versatility because the chargers usually have a short power cord.
Not all the massage attachments are designed to work on every part of your body. In fact, some of them are rather uncomfortable when you try to use them on sensitive spots.
Having a model that comes with multiple attachment heads is an advantage because it offers more chances of finding a good attachment head for every part of your body, sensitive or not.
Healing Benefits Of Handheld Massagers
Handheld massagers are famous for the many health benefits they provide the user with.
- Treating Lower Back Pain – Lower back pain can happen to all of us, and a handheld massager can help remove some of the pain. By stimulating the acupoints on the back, your back will get more oxygen and nutrients. This will increase the flexibility of the muscle, and bring back the person you used to be.
- Great For Treating Muscle Aches – Using a Handheld massager is an effective way of removing aches and pain. They will loosen up the tissue in the muscle in order to remove the inflammation.
- Relaxation – A handheld massager will create an ambiance of relaxation and calmness. You will experience how the stress melts away and the mind becomes clearer.
- Better Sleep – Say goodbye to insomnia! By regularly using a handheld massager, not only will you sleep better, but you will require fewer hours of sleep.
- Rejuvenates the skin – Handheld massager stimulates the area it’s applied, and this forces new blood to rush into the area. Not only will this slow down the aging process, but its also great for treating aching joints.
- Improved Blood Circulation – Good blood circulation is vital for a healthy life. If you have poor circulation it can lead to heart disease and much more. A handheld massager can be a great complement to your ordinary active life and perhaps prolong it.
Best Handheld Massagers Comparison Chart
|Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager||$$$$||13 x 6 x 6.5 inches||2550 RPM||1||3.8 lbs|
|Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager||$$$||14.75 x 2.75 x 4 inches||3700 RPM||3||1.65 lbs|
|WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager||$$||16 x 6.5 x 10.9 inches||3550 RPM||4||3 lbs|
|Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager||$||15.5 x 5.5 x 7.1 inches||2800 PPM||3||2.4 lbs|
|Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with Heating||$$||17.5 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches||2800 PPM||3||2.6 lbs|
|Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager||$$||N / A||3500 PPM||3||2.4 lbs|
|TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric Massager||$$||14 x 7 x 4 inches||3260 PPM||3 sets||2.6 lbs|
Hopefully we made your decision to find the best handheld massager somewhat easier. As you probably have seen, each manufacturer tries to implement as many features as possible into their product, but do you need all of them?
With all models you have the ability to change the intensity of the massage, and some even offer a heated feature. After reading our guide and handheld massager reviews, you will have all the tools needed to make a wise decision.
Remember, always look for a model that has your desired features. Do not throw money away and buy the most expensive one if your main goal is to use it for relaxation purposes.